Back in 2009 (a year after we got married), my husband and I took a (very, very frugal) trip to Italy. We visited Rome, Florence, and Venice. We fell in love with Italy on that trip and we plan to spend a lot of time there in the future (when we’re done having babies, when those babies are a little bit older, and when we’ve paid off debt and such).
It was in Italy that I suddenly started liking tomatoes (a food I absolutely hated before) – probably because they were everywhere and in everything! Italy is also where I realized the beautiful combination of tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil leaves that is Caprese Salad.
To me, Caprese Salad is so quintessentially summer (and winter is creeping up on us, so I’m desperate to hold on to summer for a little bit longer). Add this Lemon-Basil Vinaigrette to it (made using Young Living Essential Oils) and you have a light, fresh, and easy summer side dish. I love to make this to take on picnics or to cookouts with family and friends.
Caprese Salad with Lemon-Basil Vinaigrette Recipe
- Grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- Fresh mozzarella, cut into chunks (or you can use little fresh mozzarella balls)
- Basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt, to taste (I used about 1/2 tsp)
- Pepper, to taste (I used about 1/4 tsp)
- 3 drops of Basil Vitality essential oil
- 3 drops of Lemon Vitality essential oil
- Assemble the Caprese Salad (the tomatoes, the mozzarella, and the basil leaves) in a bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients (red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, sugar, garlic cloves, olive oil, salt, pepper, Basil Vitality essential oil, and Lemon Vitality essential oil) to a blender or a food processor and mix until combined.
- Add the Lemon-Basil Vinaigrette to the Caprese Salad and eat up!
Are you reading all this and wondering what in the world essential oils are and what all this is I’m talking about? Click here to learn more about Young Living Essential Oils and how to get started writing your own oily success stories.